Friday, April 28, 2006

Foodie Froday III

I'm late - story of my freakin' life, anyway. I have a Foodie Friday post, though, so that's all that matters!

Tonight's Foodie Friday is a recipe that I enjoy muchly in the summer. We came across it in the August 2004 issue of Healthy Cooking and have been making it since. I realize that it's not quite time for pit fruit to be ripe, but I have been craving this lately, so I am posting it now. Maybe I'll remind you about it again in a month or so, if I remember!

This recipe is the perfect accompaniment to a summertime dinner on the grill. It also packs well, for picnic luches or beach BBQs; just make the sauce beforehand and store it in a Rubbermaid container or even a Ziploc baggie.

My suggested menu would go something like this: fresh mixed greens salad with a balsamic vinegarette; a nice, juicy steak with grilled cheesy potatoes and corn on the cob; crusty bread; grilled plums.

Oh, and you don't *have* to use plums, although they are my fave. You can also use most any pit fruit: peaches, nectaines, pluots, or a combination of them all.

OKAY! The recipe, the way it reads from the page I have, and with my added comments:

Grilled PLums

-6 plums, pitted and halved. [Or peaches, etc.]

Sauce:

-3 tablespoons honey - 1 veeeeerrrrrrry looooooong squirt from the bear, or if you use raw from the jar like us, two overflowing spoons.

-1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar - 1 quick dash from the bottle

-1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice - about half a small lemon

-1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon - just one teensy pinch.

-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract - add a couple of drops.

[Mag suggests mint leaves for garnish. I never use them.]

"Preheat grill to medium high. Whisk together dressing ingredients and brush the cut sides of the plums with half the dressing. Grill the plums 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and drizzle remaing dressing over plums. Garnish with mint leaves and serve. makes 6 servings."

If you're doing it on the go, just dunk the cut sides into the baggie or bowl instead of brushing - much easier that way.

Mag says 54 calories, 14 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 1 mg sodium; but since I never makes it the same twice who knows how accurate that is.

Bon appetit!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

helo, I,m portuguese and I say helo america. I´m boy and I have 14 years old ps- my english sick

9:52 PM  
Blogger CraftyCritter said...

Natalie looks like you might have an admirer....snicker!

Those sound great! I wanna try those!

10:33 PM  
Blogger ThreeOliveMartini said...

hahahha

they do sound good thanks nat!

11:08 PM  
Blogger Deneen said...

Somebody likes you..nananana

They sound delish!

11:44 PM  
Blogger Hunny said...

Now that sounds good!! I am going to write that down right now!!

8:41 PM  
Blogger DixieRedHead said...

LOL now thats funnay!

mmmm plums! Great Recipe!

10:55 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

like the recipe....and your admirer is too funny....my english is sick too......but thats more due to my mind being constantly in the gutter! lol

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home