Friday, April 21, 2006

Foodie Friday: II

I cn't believe I haven't posted since last Friday! Yikes - maybe doing this will encourage me to blog more!

Today, although delayed, I'll be sharing my alfredo formula. It's not exact and it's totally not low-fat. I mix my ingredients up in our Vita-Mix, but you can use whatever's convenient.

1 carton heavy whipping cream - 8 oz, I think?

1.5 cups milk, plus more if needed to thin sauce

1 brick cream cheese - also 8 oz, I think?

1 stick of butter - 1/4 cup, no? - cut in half

1 container of fresh button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced; *or* 1 can sliced 'shroom parts

.5 cup shredded parmesan cheese (although, I always end up using closer to 1 cup)

In a medium to largish sauce pan, saute the mushrooms in half the butter, then turn off the heat.

In Vita-Mix, blender, food processor, or with a stick mixer, combine the rest of the butter, the cream, milk, and cream cheese, and mix until smooth and saucy. Add more milk if neccessary to thin.

Then, pour the sauce into the pan with the mushrooms, add the parmesan, combine and warm. If your sauce is a little too runny, you can let it reduce a bit on the stove, or add a bit of flour. Or, add more parmesan.

Usually, since I am lazy and do not like dirty dishes, when I cook this I will fry up two boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into pieces. When they're nearly done, I add the mushrooms to the same pan and saute those for a little while. Then, I add the sauce to the chicken/mushroom pan, and pour the whole thing over pasta. We usally eat it with some garlic bread and a fresh salad. YUM!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Marvie said...

Oh man that sounds good! *damns low fat healthy eating habits*

5:09 PM  
Blogger DixieRedHead said...

now THAT is a recipe!

6:01 PM  
Blogger CraftyCritter said...

YUM, Natalie!

Nice post...

7:00 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Oh, sounds yummy!

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Natalie.. this is Tasha/luckygrrl back from Cville. I missed the entire drama and wouldn't even have known about it probably til eons later were it not for the email I got from the PM all the members got about the boards closing for maintanence... boy I guessed I missed a lot!! I'm not even trying to figure out what happened. lol Gad school sucked up my life so I'm sorry I fell off the face of the planet. I'm on break between semesters right now and I just today started on the crochet shrug pattern you gave me (I bought the yarn for it months ago, ha)! I owe you an email big time! :)

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home