Monday, February 27, 2006

Guacamole: A "Pictorial"

I've been inspired, and driven to my kitchen for munchies!, many times over by a lot of the blogs I read, notably Jessica, Deneen, and Cordelia. However, I always appreciate when I stumble on a bit of foody goodness, being that I am not culinarily inclined. [In fact, it was only a few weeks ago when reading Wendy's blog that I discovered fried rice has scrambled eggs in it. Doh!!]

So, most often it for my benefit that I am not in the cooking position, and for your benefit that I do not try to share my "knowledge." However, there are a few dishes that I can prepare, and prepare well - guacamole's one of these, cuz there's not much you can do to mess it up, I guess. Follows is my Illustrated Guide to Making Guacamole:

Natalie's "Throw it all in There" Guacamole

Yuuuummmm!


2 ripe [soft when you squeeze 'em] avocados

Lemon or lime juice, fresh or from concentrate, it doesn't matter

1 Generous Scoop Salad Dressing, I prefer Miracle Whip but you could Vegenaise if you want to go veg. Or, you could totally omit it, too, for a slightly "blander" guac.

Tabasco Sauce, or favortie hot sauce, to taste

Dash of Worcestershire sauce, optional. I used Lea & Perrins, you don't have to use if you don't want.

1 big green onion, sliced thinly

A Couple shakes of Garlic Pepper

Fresh Ground Pepper and Sea Salt, to taste

Tomatoes and cilantro to garnish, if desired

First, halve the avocados and remove the pits.


Then, scrape out the flesh and chop it up with the spoon a little. Don't mash it - we'll do that later and you don't want to end up with baby-food.


Give the avocado a good dousing of lemon or lime juice. This will help keep the flesh from turning brown, while adding flavor.


Plop the spoonful of dressing on top. Don't mix yet - we'll mix at the end.


Add some hot sauce: a lot or a little, whatevah. Sprinkle on some Worcestershire.


Add the sliced green onion, then give it all a few healthy shakes of Garlic Papper. [Notice the economy sized bottle? We like Garlic Pepper. :]


Finally, flavor with sea salt and fresh groud pepper to taste.


Now you can mix! Give it all a good stirring, making sure to mash any huge chunks of avocado. Top with tomatoes, if you're using them; I like to keep them on top cuz if you stir them in they get icky looking. Garnish with fresh cilantro, if you've got it, [which I didn't, as you can see]. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips as a dip or use as a spread on sandwiches.


Enjoy!

7 Comments:

Blogger none said...

Yum! I love guacamole. :)

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy! I could eat a whole bowl of that stuff! Thanks for sharing. :)

10:06 PM  
Blogger Hunny said...

I am going to try your recipe!! I love guacamole!!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If it helps you any, I didn't realize the fried rice/scrambled eggs connection until I went to a Japanese performance restaurant, and they made it right in front of me :)

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks yummy!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have an aversion to the kitchen, but every once in a while I do get "inspired" your guac looks delicious!

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my lord, Natalie. I popped by your place to see if I could piece together what all the fuss is about over at C'ville, and in scrolling down the page came across this. Ok, yes, I'm easily distracted by food, but *damn*... This was just cruel of you, you do realize that, don't you? I'm stuck sitting here with a craving for guac, and no blasted car to go get me some avocados, let alone the chips or tomatoes. (sigh) Maybe I'll have to call hubby at work and tell him to make a stop at the store on the way home -- and ha! I can tell him it's all *your* fault! ;)

Lene'

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home