Sunday, January 29, 2006

Crochet Olympics

It's a rainy, icky, lazy Sunday - perfect for doing nothing, which is what I'm doing. :) In fact, I highly doubt I will shower today. It's just one of those kinds of days.

Inspired by the Knitting Olympics that are occuring out there in blogland, the ladies at Crochetville have gotten together a Crochet version, which I felt I *had* to join. Lately, I have been in this crochet rut - where I have about 4 projects going, and just can't seem to finish a single one. I just work a little on one here, and a little on another there... and spin a little in between... and it has just been a big length of un-productiveness. I even tried to just get a snowflake done yesterday, and the blending filament kept tangling so badly I gave up. Poo.

Crochet OlympicsSo - I'm hoping the Crochet Olympics will be the catalyst I need to get myself out of this rut. I sure hope so, because I've decided to do a wearable, and one of the rules is to *not* set yourself up for failure. I've been really wanting to do another top since the Big-Collared Cardi nightmare, and this is just the opportunity...

Now I just have to decide which top to make. This is where I'm hoping you will help me, since my family is utterly useless at assisting in things like these. I've got it narrowed down to three choices, and if I knew how I'd put up one of those cool polls in the sidebar. But, I don't, so if you'd just leave me a comment, letting me know which project you think I should do, I will love you forever. It would also be excellent to hear why/why not you think I should[n't] chose a certain project - i.e. "That one will take a lot longer than 16 days so don't even try it."

Okay, so here are the nominees for Natalie's 2006 Winter Crochet Olympics Project:

Option #1 1.Ilene from Cool Crochet

Thoughts: The recommended yarn for this sweater is TLC Amore, which I love. I'll use that yarn if I make this, however, it will be in a solid color, most likely black. I'd also extend the torso length a couple inches. This has been a "want to make someday" project ever since I got the book.





Option #2 2.On-The-Side Cardigan from Hip to Crochet

Thoughts: The recommended yarn is Classic Elite Miracle, which is beautiful but out of my price range for a project of this scale. So, if I end up making this, it will be in another DK weight, probably from KnitPicks. I'd love to make it in Elegance, which is also almost identical in weight, and half the cost of Miracle. I've been wanting a cozy cardigan ever since the Big-Collared flop, and I think this would look nice in a heather grey.

Option #33.Lacy Tunic from Hooked on Style [originally from Paton's Beautiful Crochet booklet]

Thoughts: This pattern calls for Paton's Grace, which is a gorgeous yarn, but I think it could get very pricey to do a whole sweater out of. Instead, I was thinking maybe Lustersheen, but I'm not sure if that will have the same sheen and drape as the Grace. I like the fit of this sweater though, and the motifs might break up the work a bit. [Or, make it grueling, who knows?]


Alright, that's what I've picked for myself - now, please help me pick what to crochet for the Olympics! I only have a little bit of time to get the yarn together, and with my budget lately, that could be tricky! I am making myself get my packages wrapped up first, especially since I have a couple that are overdue. [You know who you are, and if I owe you something I have not forgotten about it! It's just that I'm not used to budgeting and I have to spread my cash out a bit longer... Soon, though, I promise!!]

Wonder if Kris would buy me Olympics yarn for an early Valentine's Day present??

13 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

I vote for the lacy tunic. I've always thought that was just very pretty. Smiley's doesn't have Grace yarn but they do have BumbleBee which I think it's pretty much the same thing if you want to check it out.

2:31 PM  
Blogger dazy said...

i like the first one (ilene). it looks like it would be very squishy and comfy. i love squishy sweaters. but you're right, i'd make it longer.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the On The Side Cardigan. I just bought the book from Bron (for $5 - great deal!) just to get this pattern.

It would look great using Elegance.

By the way, I think Lustersheen is a bit more drapey and lighter than Patons Grace.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Mandi said...

I'm leaning towards Ilene (sorry I couldn't resist) I like the look and yarn recommendations for this one, and I'm with you on lengthening it. Good luck with it. I think which ever one you choose you wouldn't be going wrong, they're all beautiful!

6:21 PM  
Blogger noricum said...

They're all beautiful, but I think for a 16 day project, I'd choose the first (Ilene). Thanks for letting me know an alternate source for the third!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Jewels said...

I'm torn between the first two, but you'd get great use out of the ontheside cardigan, which is a really cool looking design too.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Jaye said...

Ilene - for sure. This is a really cute sweater and would look great on you.

Jaye

PS Hope you don't mind my input, I followed the link from Crochetville. :)

1:41 AM  
Blogger LinknKnits said...

I like the 1st and the 3rd... if you do the 1st, I agree that you should make it a little longer. Also, I wonder if some of the charm would be lost if you did it in a solid color? Just a thought.

Good luck on whichever you choose!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Yay for joining in the Olympic Games! I'm rooting for you to do Ilene as well!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

I vote for Ilene. I've had my eye on that pattern for awhile and I'd love to see it in different colors. :)

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for #1, the Ilene sweater. It looks like it would be pretty easy and do-able in 16 days. The others are both very nice but the cardigan may be a little challenging and adding the motifs to the lacy top may be difficult if things don't come out exactly the right size. Good luck with either sweater you go with. They all look nice. :)

5:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the first item you displayed! I hope you do well in your Olympics!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Celeste said...

I vote for the lacy tunic. . . but then again, I really want to make it too :) It might get you in the mind for spring!

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home