Monday, December 12, 2005

What a Monday...

My mouth hurts. Since like Saturday, the gums on one side at the rear of my mouth have been way swollen. Like, when I bite down, I'm biting on my gum, not my teeth. It happens almost once a year since I got my wisdom teeth out, I swear... It's cuz my jaw's too small to hold my teeth and they want to move back to where the wisdom teeth used to hide... And it's fucking painful. I want some good drugs, but I can't get into the dentist til tomorrow. Plus, it's a new dentist, so I'm a little freaked that she won't know what's up with my weirdo mouth. I'm waaay whiney today, so you can imagine how much it cheered me up to find good mail in my box when I got home from work!!

First thing I noticed when I got out of my car was big ass box on my porch. Naturally, I am intrigued - even more so when I see that is addressed to me and there's a sticker saying "Invoice Enclosed." I'm thinking - WTF? I didn't order anything, and then I start to worry if my dad accidentally PayPal-ed something with one of my cards - until I get the other mail - and I find this postcard, letting me know I should expect a package from Archie McPhee, sent by an elf in Indiana. At this point, I'm thinking - Archie McPhee? Hell yes!!

It got even better once I got inside and got the box opened. Turns out Ginny, my elf from Indiana, loaded me up with awesome monkey stuff - a bunch of pencil toppers, the most excellent smoking monkey notebook [much like the air freshener Lori got me when she was my secret pal, which I will not throw away even though now it has no scent at all,] as well as - get this - monkey printed bandages. There were also some freebies from Archie McPhee - a set of vintage-looking recipe cards, which I haven't opened to inspect further, and a cute [?] set of Parasite Pals erasers. [Click here for close-up of erasers.]

Thank you very much, Ginny!! Your thoughtfulness totally made my day!!

But that's not all...

I also got the hook that Jimbo at Crochetville made for me. You can read a little bit about his story here, over the course of his introduction, but basically the gist of it is... He bought back a portion of the farm he'd grown up on as a child, and when his sister started to get unwell, as a sentimental gift he made her a crochet hook from wood he'd found on the property. Well, it just so happened that the hooks were well received, and after a little poking around, Jimbo found his way to Crochetville, which is where I found him. After a little communication between us, Jimbo offered to make me a hook, and it arrived today.


Although I've not actually had a chance to use it yet, I already cannot say anough good things about this beautiful hook. In many ways, it's the complete opposite of my Turn of the Centuries... Where the TOTCs are finished and polished, this hook is very raw and organic... not to wax artistic about a hook, but it has beautiful lines, and Jim has kept on just enough bark to give it a very rustic look. However, it is totally smooth to the touch, and he's shaped it in a *very* ergonomical manner... I'd definitely recommend getting in touch with him if you have hand issues, as he tries his hardest to make a hook that will be just right for you. Even if you don't have grip issues, the look alone is enough to make you want one, plus he is very reasonable with his prices. I'm totally pleased with mine, which he tells me is just over 13mm in diameter... Too bad it's a Christmas present, and I have to put it away for another 2 weeks!!

I've been making decent progress with my crocheting, too... I have just over 30 snowflakes finished, I believe, and have been trucking away on those, plus trying to catch up on stiffening 'em. The flake race at the 'Ville seems to be going pretty good so far, too, which I'm happy about. When I've been getting too cross-eyed to make any more flakes, usually after about 5 a night, I've been working on my 'ghan, and I'm now about 3 feet into that - to the point where it becomes a major pain in the ass to turn it every row, but is big enough to keep me warm while I'm working on it, y'know?? It's turning out really nice, and I'm glad I used Bernat Super Value instead of RH Super Saver - there really is such a difference in softness!!

Anywho, I'm off to suck on a Popsicle and whine about my mouth somemore...

Hugs, everyone!

2 Comments:

Blogger sara said...

can I have the dog? :-)

6:51 AM  
Blogger LG said...

I LOVE YOUR DOG!!!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home