Sunday, November 06, 2005

Great Haul!!

so, Kris and my dad and me went to the flea market this morning... And usually the only crochet related things I can find are old doilies... Which are great but nothing that I'd buy, LOL...

But today I was browsing the booths when an old BH&G mag caught my eye. Actually, it turned out to be a dud, but in the same booth I found some other stacks of magazines that turned out to have some good stuff in them!! I got these two vintage crochet publications for a total of five dollars. I wish that I could link to some more info, but I haven't come up with much in my searching.


The first is a magazine type publication by Columbia-Minerva called The Art of Crochet [by Pauline Chatterton]. This is basically a big crochet dictionary. It's got basic/lace/shell/V/cluster/etc. stitches, as well as motifs, edgings and flowers.


It also has few patterns thrown in to help you utilize your crochet skills, as shown in this funky example of a rug. [This was published in 1974, in case you couldn't tell, lol!]





The next book is Crochet Designs From Hungary by Juliana Ray & Madeleine Bokoli. It's a 1973 reprint of the 1959 original. Even though I'm not a particular fan of thread rochet, which is what this book is chock full of, I simply couldn't pass it up.
There's just a *ton* of beautiful motifs in here. I don't know what I'll ever do with them but I felt like I needed to add this to my collection, LOL!!

Hooray for flea markets!

4 Comments:

Blogger vicki said...

natelie, wooohoo, great find. i love flea markets and second hand stores. thats wonderful you found that thread book is awesome i have checked it out at our library. lucky girl LOL

4:28 PM  
Blogger noricum said...

That thread book looks great!

6:15 PM  
Blogger LinknKnits said...

Good for you on the books! My mom lent me a bunch of her old crocheting stuff from the 70s. Not sure if I will ever make any of it, but it is fun to look at (and laugh at)!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Joy said...

Score!!! Oh, I love me some flea markets! I am doing the happy dance for you!

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home