Monday, November 21, 2005

First Flakes of the Year!!

For sometime now, I have been wanting to try my hand with thread. With Lori's beautiful doilies and Regina's twisted eyeballs, how could I not?? I was just scared of the tiny tiny stitches and superfine hooks - and everytime I'd get up the nerve to "just do it," I'd end up getting halfway to the checkout with my threadie goodness then turning around and running to put it back!!

But then it started to get cold, and I really decided that I'd like to start out with snowflakes... I want to be a super-domestic goddess who sends handcrafted goodness in all her [my mom's...] Christmas cards. Also, with the Holiday Wish List, I think for wishes I am unable to grant, it would be nice to get a card with a snowflake. It's a handmade something that's *not* super-cheesy!!

Soooo, when I went on my craft shopping extravaganza, I broke down and bought some basic thread supplies. I picked up a copy of Leisurs Arts' 99 Snowflakes, along with a size *6* hook and a ball of DMC Cebelia. Last night I got to work right away, and this is what I ended up with:
I apologize for the poor "pic;" I am running out the door *right now* for work but just had to show these lovlies off, so I stuck 'em on my scanner under a folder, LOL!! They're [obviously] not finished or starched yet, but they be lookin like a snowflakes, and I am thrilled!! They're so *fast* to make...

I think this was a good intro to thread!

12 Comments:

Blogger LinknKnits said...

Your snowflakes look great! I have been wanting to try some, too, but keep wussing out. Maybe next time I am at Joann's I'll pick up some supplies, though...

9:31 AM  
Blogger Lani said...

Snowflakes are great fun to make, aren't they? And not too intimidating because they're so little and done so quickly. Yours are absolutely beautiful; just wait until you've got them stiffened, you'll have trouble parting with them!

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely snowflakes! The more I work with thread the more I love it.

11:55 AM  
Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Gorgeous girlfriend. Good for you!

2:26 PM  
Blogger noricum said...

Wow! Great job!!! (And you're *waaay* faster at it than I am.)

2:32 PM  
Blogger DAWN said...

Beautiful! Now that is the kind of snow flake I like.
~ DAWN

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful snowflakes. Great job!!!

6:11 PM  
Blogger vicki said...

natalie

your snowflakes are awesome, those are your first ones? WOW, you did a great job, after you stiffen them, if ya have some fine glitter you can brush that on with a little more stiffner, and they will shine so pretty on tne tree. good job girl

1:02 AM  
Blogger vicki said...

natalie

your snowflakes are awesome, those are your first ones? WOW, you did a great job, after you stiffen them, if ya have some fine glitter you can brush that on with a little more stiffner, and they will shine so pretty on tne tree. good job girl

1:02 AM  
Blogger Marvie said...

Pretty!

I've made my first ones too =) It blows me away how different they look after blocking! Pretty before, but gorgeous after =) I can only handle about three at a time though, partly because my eyes go wonky dealing with the thread, and partly bc I only have enough pins to block three at a time rofl.

2:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Those are wonderful!!!!

7:43 AM  
Blogger LG said...

The snowflakes look beautiful! I can't believe these are your first ones! You are great!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home