Saturday, June 11, 2005

what a bizarre day...

Wow... lots of weird stuff has happened since I was here posting only a few hours ago! It all started just a short bit after I got up from my computer, when Kris got home from work. Apparently, while unloading a welding machine from his truck bed, he totally skinned his finger - I didn't know this and was greeted with "Get me BIG band-aid quick! I'm bleeding!" So, being the good girlfriend, I fetch a towel, band-aid, and peroxide to boot... We get the wound all cleaned and wrapped and are outside chatting about what to do for dinner when we hear a siren chirp.

So, we stroll to the end of the driveway and just as a fire engine is cruising down the street, a F.D. Explorer is whipping a U-ie and heading the other way. Within five minutes, tops, this is the scene on my street:
We soon figured out that some storm earlier in the day had knocked down some power lines across the street. So, Kris and I go to my grandma's, who lives across the street, and we see that a line has in fact fallen down on her fence, and in the process started her compost pile to smoldering. Here's the smoke wafting thru the neighborhood, smelling like burnt shit:
We got Gram out of the house and watched the action from my front porch. Turns out the wire electrified the whole block of fences... so the brave fighters went door to door telling everyone to stay inside. Wish I would've got a picture of my genius neighbor pruning the flowers agianst the fence with metal shears... and then one of the chief's face as he yelled at her! I missed those, LOL. But this whole time, at least an hour, they can't put out the burning compost cuz they can't spray anything at the live fence... so it just smoked and reeked... Anywho, here's the damage:
That's where the electricity arced from the fence to aluminum siding. This is one of the down wires along with what's left of the compost heap:


That was just the beginning... My sister had a soccer game today, her team's regional finals (big stuff, LOL) and it's about a 1.5 hour drive to the field. Their bus got trapped in the lot by a car parked in front of the gates, and they were a half hour late leaving - on the way out they backed into a car in the bus - then it rained the whole drive there and the bus leaked! To top it all off, they played in the rain and lost 2-1. Plus, my parents got rear-ended in my dad's Jeep (you don't fuck with the Jeep.)

Hmm, what else? My sister lost my dad's cell phone at the mall, so my mom and I go to pick it up. (Like that makes any sense, us saving their asses...) I am waiting in my car for my mom to run to the security office, and what do I spy from my little eye?? A checkbook... So I go grab it... and it's a brand new book... with only 2 checks missing. Unfortunately, no phone number on the checks and from my hunting it's unlisted... So I can't let them know I'll be mailing it back on Monday - I'd be so freaked out!

I know I'm forgetting something but for the life of me I can't remember, so it must not have been that important. I'm just confused with today!

Lastly - I have been tinkering around with a play blog, trying to get a "blogskin" the way I want it. This the original, I need to know if what I've done to it is okay? Is proper credit given? I think I like the way this looks, but what do you think about practicality? Is it okay to manuever? Then, execution... how to I get that to this blog, just paste it all right in, correct? It won't screw up my archives or comments, I hope... I'm going to wait until I hear from someone, just to be on the safe side. But if you know the answer, please feel free to share!! As well as any contructive criticism, if you think it sucks please tell me so.

Have happy weekends, all!

P.S. Ro - Sending lots of good thoughts your way...

1 Comments:

Blogger Deneen said...

What a really bizarre day. Ick, that compost must have stunk to high heaven. No, I don't have an answer to your blog question, I don't even know what the fuck you are talking about. My heart is breaking for Ro....

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home